Are you prepared? Here’s how to get E&O for engineering technologists in Canada
Problem solving. There are many key skills that you bring to the projects you work on as an engineering technologist and that’s why your unique role is so valued. As an expert in current engineering practice, you focus your work on the applied design, using your scientific and engineering knowledge as well as technical skills to help ensure the best job gets done.
Related Matters: How to buy E&O for engineering technicians in Canada
As you are well aware, “technologists play key roles on the engineering team; they are typically involved in product development, manufacturing, product assurance, sales, and program management.”1
Your employer and/or clients count on you to know the best ways to navigate all of the critically important elements of each and every engineering project that you support.
Keep reading for some timely and useful insights when you are looking to get errors and omissions insurance for engineering technologists in Canada.
Catastrophic Fail | Engineering errors on a Montréal bridge
Clients rely on the knowledge and skills of engineering teams to plan and execute buildings and structures that will be safe and secure. This is because the smallest overlooked detail can lead to a catastrophic outcome. If human errors, design, materials, extreme conditions or any combination of these critical elements fail, lives can be lost. Unfortunately, the collapse of a large section of a highway overpass near Montréal is one such example of how engineering errors can lead to deadly consequences.
“One afternoon in September of 2006, a 65-foot section of the De La Concorde overpass collapsed onto Quebec Autoroute 19 just outside Montreal. The collapsed section crushed two vehicles underneath and sent several cars over the edge of the overpass. There were a tragic 5 fatalities and 6 people were severely injured as a result of the disaster.
The overpass was built in 1970 and passed regular inspections. Unfortunately, engineers vastly underestimated traffic volumes, not taking into account that the weight of trucks today is significantly higher than when the overpass was originally constructed. The bridge was supposed to have a 70-year lifespan, and yet it only lasted for 36. Criteria for measuring the sustainability of the structure was not updated as automotive technology advanced and evolved.”2
You can get your business covered now. Just click to download our coverage application for engineering technologists E&O.
Lawsuits Happen – That’s why you need to get E&O for engineering technologists in Canada
On the job, you face unique exposures and risk as an engineering technologist. This why we make it simple and straightforward to buy errors and omissions insurance with us. In fact, E&O liability insurance is specifically built to cover large legal defence costs incurred when trying to prove liability or innocence as well as the final judgment if your business does not win the lawsuit.
We make it easy to get connected with the best E&O liability insurance for engineering technologists in Canada. Just complete the three simple steps below.
- Download the Engineering Technologists E&O Application Form
- Answer and complete the Engineering Technologists Errors and Omissions Form (note that you can electronically input your answers into the PDF form)
- Sign and return your completed application to an ALIGNED Insurance broker by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Real world claims that Canadian engineering technicians should be aware of
You understand exactly how things fit together because of your engineering skills and expertise. Like any professional, you are focused on getting the job done, on time and on budget. As much as your work to simulate and test structures, machines and systems helps to anticipate and mitigate risk, you can’t foresee every single building problem that may arise.
Related Matters: Online Building Design Professional Liability Insurance Quote
This why the most important thing that E&O liability coverage delivers is peace of mind. ENCON’s errors and omissions for engineering technicians has a solid track record of responding to real world claims. Here are a few recent Canadian E&O claims examples:
- “Due to a calculation error in a residential design completed by an insured technologist, the space allotted for a staircase was insufficient to allow it to be built in accordance with applicable building codes, and a substantial redesign was required.
- An insured technologist was accused of negligence when features designed for a commercial property resulted in significant drafts, requiring unexpected HVAC additions to remediate the unintended effect.
- A deck railing designed by an insured technologist collapsed due to insufficient support to the rail posts, resulting in injury to a third party.
- An insured technologist was retained to design residential homes but the design was not in conformity with the applicable bylaws and building code provisions. All homes required a redesign as a result.
- An insured technologist was retained to provide consulting services for a roof replacement on an office building. After a heavy rainstorm, water entered the building from different locations and caused damage. The technologist was sued along with the owner, the contractor and a structural engineer.
- A houseguest incurred severe injuries when she slipped and fell down a flight of stairs. The insured technologist was third partied into the claim as he was the designer of the home where the incident took place. The allegations specified there were no handrails on the staircase.”3
Need E and O? Click to download our application for errors and omissions insurance for engineering technologists in Canada.
100% Commercial | How ALIGNED Insurance brokers are different
Where your commercial business is located is just the starting point when it comes to managing business risk in Canada. Wherever you are located, know that we’re here to deliver a different and better insurance experience for your business operations.
Related Matters: Google reviews about ALIGNED Insurance brokers
From our Toronto corporate head office, to Vancouver to Calgary to our Cambridge national operations centre, we are here to deliver expert commercial insurance advice. Find an ALIGNED commercial insurance broker by selecting a locationwhere we operate in Canada.
Related Matters: The benefits of working with a commercial insurance broker
We can help you get errors and omissions liability insurance for engineering technologists aligned today! Download our E&O application form now.
Source(s):1Century College: The difference between Engineering and Engineering Technology?; 2Digitalschool.ca “Past Engineering Mistakes And How To Avoid Repeating Them”; 3ENCON Group Inc. “Errors & Omissions: Architectural Technicians and Technologists”
Read more about commercial insurance and related business coverages
- Errors and Omissions Insurance
- Why business consultants need E&O coverage
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
- Commercial Insurance Products
It’s time to get your insurance aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that’s ALIGNED with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. We’re proud our industry peers consistently recognize ALIGNED Insurance as one of the best insurance teams in the country. We are also very proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in Canada.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox. 12,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to connect and learn more about us.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders follow our insurance insights via @ALIGNEDonRisk, on Facebook, LinkedIn and watch our YouTube videos here!