Insights | How to get commercial general liability for design project managers in Canada
On-time and on-budget. If you work as a design project manager in Canada, these are the goals that both drive you and sometimes keep you awake at night. Each and every design project you work on has a defined scope, deadline and budget – and it’s your responsibility to ensure the perfect alignment of “knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet the project requirements.”1
Related Matters: Project Management.com: “The Role and Significance of an Interior Design Project Manager in Commercial Construction”
Commercial construction is extremely complex. This is why the role of design project managers is so essential to the success of any build. Understanding client goals, creating space plans that integrate interior design principles as well as human behaviour and “meeting or exceeding all current building codes, ADA accessibility requirements, and environmental and sustainable measures”2are just a few examples of the value you bring to building and renovation projects.
As a design project manager, insurance is just one of the many moving parts that is important to your clients. It’s also a foundational element of your business. Here’s what you need to know about how to get commercial general liability for design project managers in Canada.
A blueprint for success | Commercial general liability defined
Construction workers wear CSA approved steel-toed safety boots and hard hats while on an active job sites for a reason. They are managing the risks inherent to their job. You likely wear similar protective gear when you make site visits to ‘under construction’ design projects that you manage.
Managing risk isn’t always as simple as putting on safety gear. Risk can and will happen when you least expect it. For example, a client might slip on a carpet in your design project management offices and break a bone. Commercial general liability is specifically designed to respond to this situation. Quite simply, commercial general liability – also known as CGL and general liability – is foundational coverage for any Canadian business.
Related Matters: Why cyber liability insurance is important for small business
Unfortunately, property damage and bodily injury can and will occur when you least expect it. For this exact reason, commercial general liability insurance provides specific protection against liability claims for property damage and bodily injury to your design project management firm for completed operations, premises, operations, products, as well as advertising and personal injury liability.
CGL that’s built for your business. Download an ALIGNED commercial general liability insurance application form.
If you are looking to get commercial general liability or renew existing general liability coverage, you have come to the right place. We focus exclusively on commercial insurance and building better products and coverage solutions for our clients across Canada.
To get commercial general liability for design project managers in Canada, you just need to complete three simple steps below.
- Download the Commercial General Liability For Design Project Managers Insurance Application Form
- Answer and complete the Commercial General Liability For Design Project Managers Insurance Form (note that you can input your answers electronically into the PDF form)
- Sign and return your completed application to an ALIGNED Insurance broker by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Q&A | Some common insurance application questions to expect
To help you get started, some of the standard questions you can expect when completing our design project managers insurance application are listed below.
- What is the name of your firm and where is it located?
- Does your business provide services outside of Canada or for clients who are based outside of Canada?
- Does your design project management firm purchase and resell any products?
- Is your company a member in good standing with the Canadian Construction Association (CCA)?
- Which professional associations does your company belong to?
- What are your company’s annual gross revenues?
- What specific types of projects do you deliver design and/or design construction services for?
- Do you have any contractual obligations to assume responsibility for actual decommissioning, remediation, cleanup, removal, containment, detoxification or neutralization of any property, pollutants or contaminants?
Get a CGL quote for your design project management company now
Your clients expect you to anticipate and map out all of the steps needed to get from a blueprint to a well-executed design. Insurers follow a similar approach when it comes to assessing the specific risks and exposures that your business faces on a day-to-day basis.
Related Matters: Course of Construction Insurance
Here are a few of the questions you’ll need to answer when completing your application for commercial general liability insurance.
- When does your current general liability policy renew?
- What is your present insurance company and policy number?
- Where is your firm located?
- Do you sublet any work? If yes, please describe.
- Are your subcontractors required to carry liability insurance and provide liability certificates?
- Are all of your firm’s employees covered by Worker’s Compensation?
- What is your company’s claims experience for the past three years?
- Has any insurance company cancelled, declined or refused to renew or issue a type of insurance?
Every day, you face risks and exposures that are specific to the specialized work you do as a design project manager. This is why we’ve made it easy for design project managers to connect the dots and get the precise coverage they need to protect their business.
Related Matters: Get an online building design professional liability insurance quote
All you need to do to start the process is download and complete our commercial general liability insurance application and return it to us at email@example.com.
Note: You can also get aligned with errors and omissions insurance for design project managers when you complete the ALIGNED Insurance application form.
If you have any questions about your application form for general liability insurance, don’t hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
Once we receive your completed application, one of our knowledgeable and experienced commercial insurance brokers will contact you to discuss the specifics of your design project management firm. We’ll work with you to help you get the general liability coverage you need to protect your company.
Get your commercial general liability for design project managers aligned
Our team members work to meet the specific and specialized needs of your Canadian businesses as well as deliver a better insurance experience. In fact, we are exclusively focused on building better commercial insurance options for our clients.
Related Matters: Five star Google reviews about ALIGNED Insurance Brokers in Canada
We invite you to work with us to get all of your design project management business insurance needs aligned today.
Want to discuss your commercial insurance needs with an ALIGNED insurance broker? You can reach us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Source(s): 1PMI.org: “What is project management?”; 2Project Management.com: “The Role and Significance of an Interior Design Project Manager in Commercial Construction”