As an independent home health care business or the owner-operator of an agency or registry of health care providers, the care you provide comes with heavy responsibility. Whether your service includes homemaking, companionship, personal care and/or specialized, live-in care, those vital services you provide leave you vulnerable to high-risk situations and a potentially devastating lawsuit that someone needs to take care of for you. Our home health care business insurance coverages can be tailored to give you the perfect amount of protection.
Potential Liability Scenarios for Home Health Care Businesses
Common scenarios that could lead to a terrible situation, and a potentially expensive lawsuit, that you or someone representing your agency or service could experience include:
- Forgetting to give clients their medication, or giving them the wrong medication, who then needs medical intervention.
- Improperly changing bandages or dressing wounds that leads to infection.
- A momentary distraction during which an Alzheimer patient wanders off.
- While vacuuming, an expensive heirloom is knocked over and shatters.
While your concerns rightfully involve the well-being of your client and your care provider, protecting your home health care business also needs to be top-of-mind. Below is the most crucial coverage for claims homecare businesses need.
Standard Health Home Health Care Insurance Coverages
Depending on the designation you or your agent or employee hold and the services you provide, your home health care business insurance provider will likely include one or a combination of the following professional liability insurance coverages:
- Errors & Omissions (E&O) / Professional Liability Insurance to protect you and/or your home health care providers from allegations that you failed to live up to a required standard of care.
- Medical Malpractice Insurance which is specifically written for medical practitioners and is available on either a per occurrence or a claims-made basis.
- Commercial General Liability Insurance which can provide protection against personal injury claims (unrelated to home health care work) as well as allegations of property damage, false advertising or libel/slander.
The type of coverage in liability insurance policies for a home health care business insurance plan can include:
- lawyer’s fees
- legal costs or defence costs
- out-of-court settlements
- awards for damages
Other types of insurance Coverages for Home Health Care Businesses
Give your Home Health Care Business holistic protection with a commercial insurance specialist.
At ALIGNED, we only work in commercial insurance and use the relationships we’ve built over years with Canada’s top insurance companies to get our clients comprehensive home health care business insurance at affordable rates. Contact an ALIGNED advocate to get a free quote on home health care business insurance in minutes or get started right away by using our free online tool.
- Medical Clinic Insurance
- How Do I Insure A Virtual Care or E-Health Clinic In Canada?
- Insurance For Cannabis Health Products In Canada
- What You Should Know About Rehab Clinic Insurance
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian-owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest-growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.