Buying insurance may be something that you’ve never considered or ever thought you’d need as a dog walker. But there are serious risks that come with caring for animals. You might feel you know the dogs in your care but animals, and especially dogs, are unpredictable and can flip in an instant. From disobedience to outright aggression, an incident that takes a fraction of a second could lead to expensive medical bills, property damage and even a lawsuit.
Whether you run a dog walking business with multiple employees or walk dogs as a side hustle, a dog walker’s insurance plan can cover the dogs in your care for emergency medical expenses and protect you from legal liability. It’s also more affordable than you might think. Now ask yourself this question: if you had the choice between leaving your dog with a walker that is insured or one that’s uninsured, which would you choose?
How Can Dog Walker’s Insurance Protect You?
Consider the following scenarios:
- While out walking one of your dogs, a jogger comes towards you. Feeling threatened, the dog attacks the jogger.
- A dog you’ve just started walking gets away from you, runs away and you are unable to find him.
- Out of the blue, two dogs in your dog walking pack are suddenly at each other’s throats and one is seriously injured.
- While bending over to scoop up after one of your dogs, someone walking their own dog happens by and their dog attacks one of your dogs, resulting in an emergency trip to the vet and an expensive medical bill.
- As you’re walking your dogs, one gets loose and runs out into the street, causing a car to swerve and hit another vehicle or worse, your dog is hit and is seriously wounded or, sadly, is killed.
Dog walker’s insurance can cover expenses such as emergency medical expenses like vet bills, medical expenses for injuries to third parties and property damage whether due to animals or natural disasters (with property insurance, see below). If you’re served with a lawsuit, dog walker’s insurance can also help protect you by covering:
- Lawyer’s fees and the legal costs
- Out-of-court settlements
- Awards for damages
It’s important to remember that a disgruntled client can file a lawsuit against you even if you’ve done nothing wrong. The costs to defend a lawsuit and your professional reputation can put you out of business if you aren’t protected with insurance coverage for dog walkers.
What’s Covered by Dog Walker’s Insurance?
Our dog walker’s insurance coverages are customized for your specific dog walking business. These are a few of the coverages that can be included as part of your dog walker’s insurance package:
- This is the core policy needed by dog walkers as it can cover medical expenses, vet fees and property damage costs. It also includes legal liability coverage for lawsuits claiming personal injury, property damage, false advertising and libel or slander.
- Covers your place of business (including areas of your home used for business purposes) from perils such as fires, floods, vandalism and more.
- If you lease a commercial space, this policy can cover damage caused to your unit and others that you are legally responsible for.
- If you have a vehicle(s) used for your dog walking business, you need a commercial policy.
Request a Free Quote for Dog Walker’s Insurance
To get a free quote on dog walker’s insurance, simply fill out the application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org for a quick reply. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the application.
Trust ALIGNED and Make Your Walks Worry-Free
When you choose ALIGNED, you get commercial insurance specialists who know exactly how much coverage your dog walking business needs. We work with Canada’s top insurance companies to get you comprehensive dog walker’s insurance at rates you can afford. Contact us if you have questions about the right dog walker’s insurance plan for you.
- Insurance For Pet Stores In Canada
- Pet Product Liability Insurance In Canada
- Best Insurance For Pet Sitters In Canada
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian-owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest-growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.