Trending Insights | Buying errors and omissions insurance for design services in Canada
Whether it’s a new build or renovation, your design services firm knows how to source the right resources, products and fittings for Canadian construction products.
Clients seek out your design services because they trust that you and your team have the knowledge and expertise to achieve a certain aesthetic. Whatever their specific project is, your design services clients expect your firm to deliver perfectly appointed interiors, on time and on budget.
Despite your best efforts to bring together the best resources, materials, layouts, tradespeople and logistical management, sometimes unforeseen risk exposures can trip things up.
Keep reading to learn some key reasons why buying errors and omissions insurance for design services in Canada is so important.
Exposures 101 | Common challenges faced by design services firms
Even the most carefully planned design services projects will encounter risks. This is why having specialized protection in place – before a claims situation event actually occurs – is so very important. Some common errors and omissions situations you may encounter while delivering design services include:
- Errors in project elements – incorrect materials, improperly scheduled resources, mistakes in measurements, etc.
- Contractual fails – design projects that are not completed in accordance to contract specifications (i.e. delivered late and/or overbudget)
- Logistical problems – material changes to layouts, plans and scheduling that are not communicated to relevant parties such as clients and/or suppliers
There are many things that design services firms can do to proactively manage common on the job exposures. Unfortunately, with lawsuits now a more regular occurrence, it’s more important than ever for design services firms to secure professional liability (also known as errors and omissions or E&O) insurance to protect their bottom line.
Related Matters: Online Building Design Professional Liability Insurance Quote
Lawsuits happen | E&O coverage is designed to respond
The good news is that your errors and omissions liability insurance can be designed from the ground up to enhance your design services business owner’s policy. The protection you can expect is outlined below:
- E&O will safeguard against catastrophic loss in the event of a lawsuit due to a negligent act, error or omission in the course of your offering design services to a third party for compensation.
- In addition to claims of error, omission, or negligence, E and O can also protect against slander, libel and breach of contract.
Want to get a quote for your E&O coverage now? We make it simple to buy E&O insurance. Click to download our application for design services errors and omissions liability insurance.
Measure twice and cut once | Tips to manage professional risks
It is inevitable that your design services firm will face professional liability risks. Here are some ways you can proactively manage some of the most common exposures that your business may encounter:
- “Use a client intake form. A formal approach to establishing a relationship between a service provider and client may help prevent conflicts of interest. Questions to consider include:
- What are the client’s instructions?
- Are the new client’s goals reasonable and attainable?
- What is the fee or billing structure?
- Is your business adequately staffed to handle the project?
- Did any potential red flags come up during the interview and information gathering stages?
- Review any available information about previous suppliers who have worked with the potential client. Things to consider include:
- Does the client have a reputation for managing successful long-term relationships with vendors?
- What reasons does the client give for changing suppliers?
- Collect and review as much information as possible when you are evaluating a potential client. In a working agreement or contract, you may wish to include elements such as:
- Proper identification
- Scope of work
- Fee structure
- The responsibilities expected of your organization as well as those expected from your client.”1
We make it easier to buy E&O liability coverage. All you need to do to get the process started is click and download our application for design services errors and omissions.
Misteaks happen – Why E&O is so important for Canadian design services firms
You and your employees bring professional experience to every design project that you work on. Errors and omissions liability insurance for design services is built from the ground up to provide protection for individuals who give advice, make educated recommendations, design solutions, and/or represents the needs of others.
Related Matters: Course of Construction Insurance
This is why design services errors and omissions insurance is quite literally designed to cover large legal defence costs that are incurred trying to prove liability or innocence as well as the final judgment if your business does not win the lawsuit.
Get an E&O quote now. Just click to download our application for errors and omissions insurance for design services in Canada
Note: You can also get aligned with commercial general liability insurance for design services when you complete the ALIGNED Insurance application form.
Our insurance brokers have deep and thorough understanding of the risks and exposures faced by modern Canadian businesses. This is why we make it easier to get errors and omissions for design services. All you need to do to get started is download and complete our errors and omissions insurance application and then return it to us at email@example.com.
Once we receive your completed application, one of our experienced commercial insurance brokers will contact you to discuss the specifics of your design services business. We’ll work with you to get you aligned with the errors and omissions coverage you need to protect all of your commercial operations.
If you have any questions about your errors and omissions for design services application form, don’t hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
Get your ALIGNED errors and omissions for design services quote
If you are ready to work with a Canadian insurance brokerage that’s 100% dedicated to commercial insurance, now is the ideal time to get aligned. Our team is exclusively focused on meeting the specialized needs of Canadian businesses only and delivering the best possible insurance experience.
We invite you to work with us to get all of your design services insurance needs aligned today.
Source(s): 1IBC.ca: Professional Liability – Risk Management
Read more about commercial insurance and related coverages
- Why business consultants need E&O coverage
- Errors and Omissions Insurance
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
- Commercial Insurance Products
It’s time to get your insurance aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that’s ALIGNED with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. We’re proud our industry peers consistently recognize ALIGNED Insurance as one of the best insurance teams in the country. We are also very proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in Canada.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox. 12,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to connect and learn more about us.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders follow our insurance insights via @ALIGNEDonRisk, on Facebook, LinkedIn and watch our YouTube videos here!