Do you operate a shooting club or gun range? Then gun club/range liability insurance is for you. Let ALIGNED’s team of insurance experts help you find a customized commercial insurance policy that meets your club’s unique needs.
Do Shooting Ranges Need Insurance?
Yes, shooting ranges and gun clubs are typically required by law to have commercial general liability insurance. This means that if you own indoor or outdoor shooting ranges, you will need to purchase a commercial policy that includes general liability insurance at a minimum. That said, even if it wasn’t mandatory, gun club insurance is important owing to the financial protection it offers. Shooting ranges are high-risk by nature, meaning having the right insurance matters. Without it, one third-party lawsuit or property damage incident could be enough to close your business.
What You Need to Know About Gun Club Insurance Coverage
The following coverage types might be important for owners and operators of shooting ranges and gun clubs:
- Commercial general liability insurance: Commercial general liability insurance, also known as slip and fall insurance, can protect your gun club or shooting range against liability claims of third-party bodily injury and property damage. For example, if a club member was injured at your shooting range, they could sue you for bodily injury. Luckily, with commercial general liability insurance, your insurer may cover any applicable legal fees, medical expenses, and more.
- Product liability insurance: If your shooting range clinic sells products such as firearms, ammunition, targets, safety equipment, or even food or beverages, then you should consider adding product liability insurance to your policy. Even if you don’t have a hand in manufacturing these items, you could still be held liable if a customer buys a product from you, and it later results in bodily injury or property damage.
- Commercial property insurance: Commercial property insurance protects your gun club or shooting range and any business-related contents (e.g. computers, inventory, furniture, security systems, etc.) from property damage due to an insured peril. You get to decide which perils to include in your policy, though some of the most common are water damage, fire, theft, windstorms, vandalism, etc.
- Business interruption insurance: Business interruption insurance can protect your club from lost income if it is forced to close due to an insured peril. Again, insured perils covered by business interruption insurance vary but can include theft, fire, vandalism, windstorms, water damage, and more.
- Commercial auto insurance: Commercial auto insurance is important if your shooting range uses vehicles for business purposes. Auto insurance coverage may include third-party liability coverage, comprehensive coverage, uninsured automobile coverage, accident benefits coverage, collision coverage, and more.
- Umbrella liability insurance: Umbrella liability insurance takes effect when regular liability limits are reached, meaning it can protect your gun club against unforeseen or catastrophic events.
- Cyber liability insurance: Cyber liability insurance is crucial for any gun club or shooting range that stores sensitive customer information online (e.g. financial information). This type of coverage can cover the costs associated with cyberattacks, hacks, or breaches, including credit monitoring, client notification, restoration fees, and more.
The Cost of Shooting Range Insurance Explained
Insurance providers will consider a variety of factors when calculating insurance premiums for shooting ranges and gun clubs. For this reason, insurance rates can vary significantly from gun club to gun club. Owners of shooting ranges might find it helpful to understand which details influence the cost of insurance, which is why we have put together the following list.
- The size and location of your gun club
- Your gun club’s annual and projected gross revenue
- Your insurance claims history
- The number of employees at your gun club
- The security measures in place at your gun club
- The coverage, policy limits, and policy deductibles you choose
Make Aligned Your Go-to Source for Gun Range Insurance
Are you ready to protect your gun club with gun club insurance? Whether you operate a gun club or a shooting range, we can help you safeguard your business. Make ALIGNED your go-to source for shooting range liability insurance, and we promise you won’t regret it. ALIGNED brokers are experts at matching businesses with the right coverage at competitive rates from a top Canadian insurance company. Simply get in touch, explain your insurance needs, and an expert insurance broker will find a commercial insurance policy that suits your specific needs. For personalized, dynamic gun club insurance solutions, look no further than ALIGNED. Contact ALIGNED today to learn more, or click here to get a free quote now.