Sports organizations have a legal duty of care to ensure the safety of players, staff and spectators. Whether it’s during a practice, social events, or in its day-to-day operations, sports organization insurance can guard you from the risks that come with running a team, club, tournament and/or a league.
Risk Management for Sports Organizations
Insurance is only a part of a sports organizations risk management program and all of the following are other risk management recommendations to help protect your sports organization.
- “Ensure equipment meets the standards set by the Canadian Standards Association.
- Determine an appropriate supervisor-to-user ratio whether it’s for youth sports or recreation activities. The appropriate ratio will depend on the type of activity, the equipment being used, the age of the participants, etc.
- Screen patrons for health limitations that may make it unsafe for them to participate in your program.
- Use signs to warn patrons of any hazards. Signs should use symbols and French and English text where possible.
- Implement a screening and hiring standard policy to ensure that you employ only qualified people. You may wish to require a criminal background check for employees and volunteers working with the elderly or children…
- Ensure the facilities and equipment are regularly inspected for damage and repaired or replaced as necessary.”
Sports Organization Insurance What’s Covered?
Our sports organization insurance package can be customized to the needs of your league, club, association or team and can cover any or all of the following participants involved with tournaments, games and practice etc:
- Directors & officers
- Employees & volunteers
- Officials & referees
- Players and teams
- Spectators & participants
- Sports facilities & offices
- Youth sports clubs
Sports Organization Insurance Coverages
Commercial General Liability Insurance can provide medical expense and legal liability coverage including defence costs, settlements and awards for damages for lawsuits alleging bodily injury and physical damage, property damage, false advertising and libel & slander.
If your sports organization hosts special events, games, matches or banquets, you will also need the protection of Event Coverage Insurance which can cover your liability exposure in case an injury to participants happen at your event, property is damaged or, if alcohol is served at your event, an intoxicated patron who attends your event causes bodily injury, loss of life or property damage either during the event or after they’ve left it.
Property Insurance protects building and contents with for both facilities and head offices in the event of fire, flooding, windstorms, earthquake, burglary, vandalism and other perils. You may also need to include:
- Business Interruption coverage for income lost due to an insured peril; and
- Extra Expense coverage for the costs of setting up a temporary location following an insured peril.
Directors & Officers (D&O) / Board Insurance protects the directors and officers of your sports organizations in case of lawsuits alleging mismanagement, conflict of interest and other ‘wrongful acts’.
- Buying Insurance for Sports Facilities in Canada
- How Much Is Abuse Liability Insurance Coverage In Canada?
- How Much Is Insurance For A Children’s Camp In Canada?
- Online Insurance For Private Investigators In Canada
- Online Commercial Insurance Products In Canada
- Is Professional Liability Insurance Worth It In Canada?
- Non-profit Boards Are At Risk of Director Lawsuits Too
- ALIGNED Insurance Proudly Supports Right To Play
- Commercial insurance companies in Canada
Don’t get blindsided, choose the commercial insurance specialists at ALIGNED
Commercial Insurance is all we do. We advocate for you when working with Canada’s top insurance companies to get you comprehensive sports organization insurance policy at competitive rates. Contact ALIGNED insurance specialists to get a free quote on sports organization insurance in minutes or get started right away by using our free online tool.
We’re here to help you find the BEST commercial insurance…
Our team of insurance brokers is available to help answer any and all questions you might have about all of our commercial insurance products. If you have a question about business insurance, are uncertain about what a particular insurance coverage term means, or simply want to find commercial insurance that directly aligns with your needs, don’t hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
It’s time to get your insurance aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that’s ALIGNED with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. We’re proud our industry peers consistently recognize ALIGNED Insurance as one of the best insurance teams in the country. We are also very proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in Canada.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox. 12,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to connect and learn more about us.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders follow our insurance insights via @ALIGNEDonRisk, on Facebook, LinkedIn and watch our YouTube videos here!