About NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank’s story began more than ten years ago as nurse and lactation consultant (IBCLC), Jannette Festival and her business partner Anne Marie O‘Gorman (former CFO of STARS Air-Ambulance) were searching for a solution to Alberta’s shortages in donor human milk.
At the time, people who live in Alberta did not have access to a donor human milk bank and precious donor milk had to be transported all the way from BC Women’s & Children’s Hospital in Vancouver, which was the only milk bank in Canada.
Through the joint effort of experts in the field and more than a year of thorough research, NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank (formerly Calgary Mothers’ Milk Bank) opened in 2012.
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank is now “Canada’s only community-based milk bank.”1 and supplies breast milk for “mothers who cannot nurse as a result of a low milk supply, necessary medication usage, illness, adoption or surrogacy.”2 The team at NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank also makes it “possible for all at-risk Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) babies to receive human milk.”3
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank – How they help
- Providing life-saving donor breast milk to sick and fragile babies
- Helping bereaved mothers in the healing process after the loss of a baby
- Giving Lactation Consultant advice
- Hosting monthly Breastfeeding Basics classes
Community Care Fund
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank has set up a Community Care Fund for babies whose families do not have the necessary means to purchase donor human milk. The fund is 100% community-generated and ensures families in need can access donor milk for their little ones.
What people say about NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank:
“As a result of Covid, I was not allowed to feed my daughter for the first days of her life. During that time, she received donor milk from NorthernStar Milk Bank – a gift that I will forever be grateful for. NorthernStar & Donors, Thank you for all that you do!”4 – Amanda
“I am so happy to know that you have so much available that after prioritizing NICUs you can afford to give it out privately too! Thank you donors, you are amazing!”5 – Tamara Mendez, NICU Nurse
“I was an oversupplier since the beginning of our breastfeeding journey. I had built up a large freezer stash when a friend mentioned that there was a milk bank to donate to. I had no idea! I’m so glad that Colt and I are able to help other babies.”6 – Jalisa, NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank donor
“Thank you very much for your donation of breast milk. It has made a world of difference for my son. I really feel that the milk that he received played a big part in his recovery.”7 – Lenni, a mother who struggled to produce breast milk while her baby fought a rare form of liver cancer at two months. Little LJ made a full recovery after his father donated 20% of his liver to save his life. He is now 3-years-old and in great health.
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank – Visit, revisit & share this page!
You can help NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank get ALIGNED with our Giving Generously donation. The Canadian charity webpage with the most visitors between Wednesday, October 20, 2021 and 11:59 pm Friday, December 10, 2021 will receive our 2021 donation.
5 Ways You Can Help The NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank
- Right now, take a moment to share this page with all of your social media networks and colleagues.
- Encourage others, including NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank, to visit and share this webpage too!
- Like and share ALIGNED Insurance content about nominated Giving Generously 2021 charities on our social media feeds such as: LinkedIn, Facebook & Instagram.
- Keep visiting and sharing this webpage until the campaign closes at 11:59 pm Friday, December 10, 2021. The Giving Generously charity page with the most visits – aka clicks – during the campaign period will receive a $5K ALIGNED Insurance donation at the end of the campaign period.
- Stay tuned! Learn about the ALIGNED Insurance Giving Generously 2021 charity in a special issue of ALIGNMENT Matters, our monthly e-newsletter. Click on the Join Our Distribution List button at the bottom of our homepage.
Giving Generously 2021 – Our Social Responsibility Campaign
People helping people is how we deliver better business insurance. ALIGNED is known for consistently delivering a better insurance experience to Canadian businesses. Each and every day, we do this by:
- Being fiercely independent – our brokerage is 100% owned by us, not by any insurance company
- Doing what we say we’re going to do when we say we’re going to do it
- Fulfilling our social responsibility to help others
Since 2014, we’ve donated to more than 40 Canadian charities through our social responsibility initiatives. We know it’s a privilege to handle our clients’ insurance needs and that’s why GIVING frequently, consistently and GENEROUSLY is essential to all of us.
Each year, a portion of ALIGNED Insurance profits are donated to a Canadian charity that is nominated by an ALIGNED client. During the Giving Generously campaign, people vote by visiting web pages that ALIGNED builds to celebrate each charity and the great work they do.
Our annual Giving Generously donation is made to the registered Canadian charity that receives the most “votes” which are recorded as web page sessions.
If you have any questions about Giving Generously or would like to know more about how an ALIGNED Insurance Advocate can get you connected with better business insurance, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.