Publishers of both traditional printed materials and online media face similar risks. Publishing professionals live under the scrutiny of the public eye and the information you publish has an impact on those it reaches. That type of exposure exposes your publishing company to significant liability risks. That is why you need reliable insurance for publishers in place. From libel and slander to a missed deadline that leaves a client without their promotional materials to accusations of intellectual property theft, publishing company insurance can cover your exposures and keep your presses rolling.
What Type of Insurance Do Publishing Businesses Need?
The cornerstone of any publishing insurance package is Media Liability Insurance. Media liability insurance is a policy specifically designed to address the legal risks faced by both print and media publishers. Common risk scenarios faced by publishing professionals include:
- A typo in a catalogue or flyer lists the wrong product price and your client is forced to honour the price or otherwise offer discounts or suffer permanent reputational damage
- A story you run in your print or online newspaper uses a quote by a source that was supposed to be off the record
- An author or editor of a novel your company published is accused of plagiarism, that the plot or characters in the story are nearly identical to ones in a previously published work
- Mechanical problems with your billboard printer cause a delay in printing a client’s grand opening billboard, delaying the opening and resulting in lost sales
- A worker for your publishing firm’s periodical is accused of harassment
- A story your worker run accuses a subject of committing fraud based on information that turns out to have been incorrect and that person loses their business because of your company’s story
Media liability insurance as part of a company insurance plan can protect your company’s business income from lawsuits alleging:
- Trademark/copyright infringement (coverage also includes defence of your own intellectual property)
- Breach of confidentiality
- Errors and omissions, negligence
- Breach of contract
- False advertising
- Deceptive trade practices
- Invasion of privacy, trespassing
- Harassment, emotional distress, unlawful detention
If you are served with a claim on any of the above, an insurance company may provide you with:
- Legal fees
- Defence costs
- Out-of-court settlements
- Awards for damages
It’s important to remember that even baseless claims still require a substantial amount of money to resolve – amounts that few printing presses have laying around.
Other types of insurance coverages that can be included in a publisher’s insurance plan
Commercial General Liability Insurance policies can protect your publishing business from lawsuits alleging bodily injury and property damage.
Property Insurance to protect your publishing business, office building and/or contents from perils such as fires, sewage backups, vandalism and more.
Cyber Liability Coverage & Privacy Insurance to protect you from liability and expenses related to a cybersecurity event.
Pollution Liability Insurance if your publishing industry prints using chemicals that require specific handling and disposal.
- Media Professional Liability Insurance – Why You Need It
- Social Media Influencer Liability Insurance
- Technology Company Insurance Overview
- Covering cyber risks in Canada | AIG CyberEdge insurance
Protect your printing company with insurance brokered by commercial risk-management experts
At ALIGNED, we specialize in commercial protection and work with Canada’s top compensation insurance companies to get you an insurance policy tailored to your needs. Contact an ALIGNED insurance agent to get a free quote in minutes or get started right away by using our free online tool.
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.