In today’s litigious environment, no business relationship – including your dealings with donors, employees, customers, recipients of services, suppliers, vendors, other not-for-profit organizations, government agencies and creditors – is free of risk. Any of these parties could sue your organization or engage in criminal activity that could result in the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Chubb and other leading insurers ALIGNED Insurance works with are able to present a comprehensive insurance solution designed specifically to help not for profit organizations cope with a range of potentially devastating threats to their financial well-being. Chubb’s extensive Enhancement Endorsement combined with their standard Not For Profit Organization Liability policy form provides best-in-class coverage to not-for-profit customers and makes them one of the leading providers of insurance solutions for not for profit organizations.
Insurance Solutions For Not For Profit Organizations
What Types of Insurance Do Non-Profit Organizations Need?
Non-profit organizations come in all shapes and sizes. Therefore, there are several types of insurance to operate safely and responsibly within their communities. Here are a few that you might need to consider:
Directors & Officers Insurance – Directors & officers insurance provides coverage for investigation and legal costs from claims of errors, misjudgment, negligence, misleading statements, workplace harassment, conflicts of interest, etc.
Commercial General Liability Insurance – Also known as CGL insurance, commercial general liability insurance provides coverage for bodily injury and property damage arising from the operations of your non-profit organization.
Commercial Property Insurance – Your non-profit organization needs offices and other structures to operate. Commercial property insurance protects your property and equipment from damages and losses caused by theft, fires, earthquakes, floods, etc. It ensures that the replacement and repair costs of your property and equipment are covered.
Cyber Liability Insurance – Non-profit organizations store a lot of sensitive information protected by law and confidential. If there is a hack or data breach, or your operations are interrupted because your data is compromised, cyber liability insurance covers expenses such as rented equipment, operation costs, legal fees, damage to third-party, ransomware fees, etc.
Commercial Auto Insurance – Commercial auto insurance provides coverage for medical, property damage, loss of income, disability benefits, etc., arising from vehicle accidents and collisions.
What Basic Insurance Coverage Should a Non-Profit Consider?
All non-profit organizations should consider commercial general liability insurance for financial protection against lawsuits. A basic commercial general liability insurance policy will provide a $2 million coverage limit, but you can always purchase more insurance as needed.
Directors & officers insurance coverage is also important because directors and officers can be targets of lawsuits and wrongful act accusations. It can also help you attract funding because directors & officers insurance protects the investors. The amount of coverage you have depends on which insurance agreements you purchase.
Do Non-profits Need Liability Insurance?
It’s always better to be protected than to risk a lawsuit or financial loss.
Liability insurance protects your non-profit organization, volunteers, staff, directors, and officers from liability and mismanagement claims and lawsuits as well as any costs and losses associated with the claims. In some cases, investors can ask if you have liability insurance because it ensures that they are protected if they want to provide funding for your non-profit organization.
How Much Does Insurance for Non-profits Cost?
The cost of commercial general liability insurance with a coverage of $2 million can cost on average $450. The cost of directors & officers and other insurance depends on the coverage you purchase. However, several factors impact your insurance price, such as:
- Organization size and location
- Services provided
- Number of staff and volunteers
- Organization type
Coverage Features of Insurance Solutions For Not For Profit Organizations
- Defence Costs Outside the Limit (depending on the endorsement utilized)
- Separate Limit of Liability Dedicated to Insured Persons for Non-Indemnifiable Claims
- Duty to Defend
- Employed Lawyers Coverage
- Workplace Violence Expense Coverage
- Fiduciary Liability Coverage
- Worldwide Blanket Not-For-Profit Outside Directorship Coverage)
- Third Party Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Coverage (depending on the endorsement utilized)
- Advancement of Defence Costs if the Organization Fails to Indemnify
- No Insured vs Insured Exclusion
- Pollution Defence Coverage for NonIndemnifiable Claims brought against Insured Persons in Canada
- Coverage for Punitive and Exemplary Damages where insurable by law •
- Insured Persons includes: elected and appointed directors, de facto directors, officers, trustees and governors, managers, in-house general counsel, and equivalent positions, as well as employees, committee members and volunteers
- Pre-Determined Allocation of Defence Costs: Chubb will pay 100% of the Defence Costs incurred by the Insured for Claims that include covered and uncovered matters
- Non-Cancelable by insurer except for nonpayment of premium or when agreed to by the insured
Get the Right Non-Profit Organization Insurance
ALIGNED works with Canada’s top insurance companies to provide non-profit organization insurance packages at affordable prices. Contact an ALIGNED commercial insurance specialist for a free quote, or use our free online tool.
- Non-profit and Charities Directors Insurance Quote
- Non-Profit Dog and Animal Club Insurance
- Do Non-Profits Need Directors Insurance In Canada?
- D&O Insurance for Non-Profits
- Non-profit Boards Are At Risk of Director Lawsuits Too
- How Much Is Directors Liability Insurance For My Non-Profit In Canada?
- What Is Directors and Officers Insurance Coverage And What Does It Cover?
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian-owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest-growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.