The importance of your work as forensic engineers can’t be overstated. The decision to prosecute or apportion civil liability often turns on your findings. When things go wrong and property is damaged or people are hurt, we need to know why and how to prevent them from happening again. Nobody understands better than you the risks that come with that level of responsibility. From single consultants to large firms, forensic engineers insurance can be tailored to help you mitigate those risks.
Forensic Engineer Mistakes that could Lead to Legal Liability
The following mistakes that have the potential to leave a forensic engineers exposed to legal liability:
- Accepting cases with a short turn-around time and rushing an investigation
- Taking cases with a limited budget and not having the resources to conduct thorough investigations
- Undertaking a case outside of his/her expertise
- Inadequate documentation or investigations
- Not following an investigative protocol
- Assuming a conclusion when the cause appears obvious and not performing an investigation
- Not asking for investigations or reviewing all of the relevant evidence
- Not verifying the facts of the case or not getting opinions from expert witnesses and relying on retaining counsel’s interpretation of the facts
- Authoring a report without full investigations or enough data
- Using vague language that is open to interpretation
- Allowing retaining counsel to influence a report or investigation
- Not thoroughly reviewing a report or findings with retaining counsel
- Writing reports with an appearance of bias
Though certainly not an exhaustive list, the above mistakes could call your work into question and leaves the door open to claims of negligence, errors or omission. Errors & Omissions (E&O) / Professional Liability Insurance is a standard coverage that can provide forensic engineers and professionals with legal coverage including:
- Lawyer’s fees
- Defence costs
- Settlements and awards for damages
if a client decides to sue or make a formal complaint to your licensing body. Forensic engineering firms, however, have more than just professional liability risks. The following section summarizes a few more basic coverages often included in a forensic engineering team insurance package.
Other Coverages for Forensic Engineering Firms
Commercial General Liability Insurance provides legal coverage for suits alleging personal injury, property damage, false advertising and libel & slander claims.
Property Insurance protects your building and contents in case of fire, sewage backup, water damage, flooding, storm damage, and other perils. Optional extensions include:
- Business Interruption cover which reimburses you for income lost due to an insured peril; and
- Extra Expense coverage for the costs of setting up a temporary workspace following an insured peril.
Cyber Liability & Privacy Insurance can provide coverage for third-party losses, data and systems restoration, notification costs and more.
Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Insurance can provide legal coverage for lawsuits alleging wrongful dismissal, harassment and discrimination claims, and other employment-related suits.
Commercial Auto Insurance / Commercial Vehicle Insurance for vehicle used in the course of business by your forensic engineering firm.
Get ALIGNED With Forensic Engineers Insurance
Commercial insurance is all we do. We work with Canada’s top insurance companies to get you comprehensive forensic engineering professionals insurance that covers your liabilities and fits your budget. Contact an ALIGNED advocate to get a free quote in minutes or get started right away by using our free online tool.
- Can Insurance Pay For Privacy Breach Notification Expenses In Canada?
- Where Can I Get Data Breach Insurance In Canada?
- Insurance Brokers Canada – Business Interruption Worksheet
- How Do I Insure A Virtual Care or E-Health Clinic In Canada?
- Data Breach Insurance For Small Businesses
- Cyber Security Insurance Coverage and Policy
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.