Coverage Insights | Get E&O Insurance For Architectural Technologists In Canada
Technological know-how. It’s what you bring to each and every new project as well as to the construction job site. Your employer and/or clients count on you to thoroughly understand the most technical details of complex modern building processes. They also expect you to know the best ways to navigate all of the critically important elements of an architectural construction project.
The skillsets of architectural technologists are specialized and unique. According to Wikipedia, building or architectural technology, “is the application of technology to the design of buildings. It is a component of architecture and building engineering and is sometimes viewed as a distinct discipline or sub-category.
New materials and technologies generated new design challenges and construction methods throughout the evolution of building, especially since the advent of industrialization in the 19th century. Architectural technology is related to the different elements of a building and their interactions and is closely aligned with advances in building science.”1
Keep reading for some timely and useful insights when you are looking to get errors and omissions insurance for architectural technologists in Canada.
E&O Explainer | Why architectural technologists need a solid foundation of liability coverage
You understand how things fit together because you are an expert in architectural technology, building technical design and construction processes. People count on your expertise to help construction projects make the leap from ideas to actual built reality.
Like any professional, you are focused on getting the job done, on time and on budget. As much as you strive to deliver the very best support to every client, sometimes risk can trip you up.
Unfortunately, a single error or omission has the potential to put even the most carefully laid business foundation at risk. Here’s how an E&O situation can negatively impact the work you do as an architectural technologist:
- “An allegation of negligence can have a significant financial impact on the individual or the firm providing these technical services.
- Statistics show that the average cost of defending a claim for an architectural technologist or technician is $91,000.
- A lawsuit doesn’t need to have merit to have a financial impact on your business, not to mention the potential damage to your reputation. Often claims against architectural technicians and technologists arise out of design errors that are revealed after a project has been completed.”2
E&O Claims 101 | Six real claims examples filed by architectural technologists
The most important thing that liability insurance delivers is peace of mind. That’s why it is so important to find coverage that has a track record of responding to real world claims within your profession.
Following are a few recent examples of how ENCON’s errors and omissions coverage responded to actual claims faced by Canadian architectural technologists:
- “Due to a calculation error in a residential design completed by an insured technologist, the space allotted for a staircase was insufficient to allow it to be built in accordance with applicable building codes, and a substantial redesign was required.
- An insured technologist was accused of negligence when features designed for a commercial property resulted in significant drafts, requiring unexpected HVAC additions to remediate the unintended effect.
- A deck railing designed by an insured technologist collapsed due to insufficient support to the rail posts, resulting in injury to a third party.
- An insured technologist was retained to design residential homes but the design was not in conformity with the applicable bylaws and building code provisions. All homes required a redesign as a result.
- An insured technologist was retained to provide consulting services for a roof replacement on an office building. After a heavy rainstorm, water entered the building from different locations and caused damage. The technologist was sued along with the owner, the contractor and a structural engineer.
- A houseguest incurred severe injuries when she slipped and fell down a flight of stairs. The insured technologist was third partied into the claim as he was the designer of the home where the incident took place. The allegations specified there were no handrails on the staircase.”3
Errors and Omissions – The liability coverage you need as an architectural technologist
E&O insurance is specifically built to cover large legal defence costs that are incurred trying to prove liability or innocence as well as the final judgment if your business does not win the lawsuit.
We make it simple and easy to get connected with the best E&O liability insurance for architectural technologists in Canada. To get the process rolling, you just need to complete the three simple steps below.
- Download the Architectural Technologists E&O Application Form
- Answer and complete the Architectural Technologists Errors and Omissions Form (note that you can electronically input your answers into the PDF form)
- Sign and return your completed application to an ALIGNED Insurance broker by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
You face unique exposures and risk in your day-to-day work as an architectural technologist. This why we make it simple and straightforward to buy errors and omissions insurance with us.
E&O coverage that’s built for you | Trust an ALIGNED insurance broker to deliver
Where your commercial business is located is just the starting point when it comes to managing business risk in Canada. Wherever you are located, know that we’re here to deliver a different and better insurance experience for your business operations.
Our team knows that the most important thing we do is actively support Canadian business. Every day, we take pride in getting the very best commercial insurance products and services aligned to meet the specific needs of our clients.
You can find an ALIGNED commercial insurance broker by selecting a location where we operate in Canada. From our Toronto corporate head office, to Vancouver to Calgary to our Cambridge national operations centre, we are here to deliver expert commercial insurance advice.
Source(s): Maclean’s: “Architectural technologists’ role in building design is growing; 1Wikipedia: Architectural Technology; 2,3ENCON Group Inc. “Errors & Omissions: Architectural Technicians and Technologists”