How To Buy Your Cannabis Retailers Insurance
Choice. Options. Value.
Ontario cannabis retailers are excited about growth opportunities. With the provincial cap on retail cannabis stores lifted, licensed producers are able to sell products to bigger audiences.
If you are in the market for cannabis insurance you know it’s not the easiest to secure. Not every insurance company in Canada is interested or willing to insure cannabis related risks. With 2.0 legislation for the sale of edibles, extracts and topicals now legal and new opportunities popping up, the market for cannabis products is set to expand.
If you’re kickstarting, incubating, or expanding the cannabis business, now’s the time to look into risk management and explore insurance options with brokers who know the industry.
The nuances of cannabis insurance…
Just like any business, cannabis insurance needs to cover the highly specific risks you face operating Main St and/or online, manufacturing, growing, extracting or otherwise. Some cannabis-specific risks can include:
- High business interruption exposure due to the value of cannabis products
- High market/dollar value of cannabis products as well as inventory
- Higher probability of fire
- Misunderstandings related to Canadian cannabis laws and regulations
- Spoilage risk of cannabis retail inventory (including mould and fungus)
The fact is, the industry is new and growing. And as it grows, the risks and exposures of the cannabis industry will become better understood.
“Canadians spent about $908 million on non-medical cannabis in the first year since legalization, but online sales dropped as more brick-and-mortar locations opened, said Statistics Canada. …between October 2018 and September 2019…which works out to $24 per capita.”1
Get cannabis insurance coverage that meets your specific needs
Here are some key commercial coverages that you should be aware of:
- Commercial General Liability Insurance
- Directors & Officers (D&O) / Board Insurance
- Errors & Omissions (E&O) / Professional Liability / Indemnity Insurance
- Crime Insurance / Fidelity Insurance
- Cyber Liability & Privacy Insurance
- Property Insurance
- Product Recall Insurance
- Umbrella Liability Insurance
Sources: 1 CTV News – Canadians spent $908M at cannabis stores since legalization, Stats Can says