Get a quote


Join Our Distribution List Today!

Need help managing your business risks during COVID-19? – CLICK HERE FOR INFO YOU CAN USE
ALIGNED Insurance

Call Toll Free

What Does A Loss Payee On An Insurance Policy Mean?

What Does A Loss Payee On An Insurance Policy Mean - ALIGNED Insurance Brokers
ALIGNED - CLICK HERE to get a FREE insurance quote now - Header - June 2021
Want insurance? Click HERE to get a FREE QUOTE!

Are you wondering what does a loss payee on an insurance policy mean? We can help.

So you may be googling what does a loss payee on an insurance policy mean? This is why we wrote this post. A loss payee is a person or entity that is entitled to all or part of the insurance proceeds in connection with the covered property in which it has an interest. Often those asking to be named as a loss payee have leased some type of equipment to the insured—a photocopy machine, for example.

Several different loss payee clauses address different insurable interest situations. A loss payee is also common in a personal auto policy (PAP) in which the automobile is financed. The lending institution would be listed as the loss payee on the declarations page.

See also Additional insured; Lenders loss payable endorsement; Mortgage (mortgagee) clause; Loss payable clause.

Who can add a loss payee to an insurance policy in Canada?

If your insurance policy was placed by a Canadian insurance broker, then you need to contact your broker to add an organization as loss payee or make any amendments to any loss payee already shown on your insurance policy. Making changes to a loss payee clause on an insurance policy should be done with the guidance of an insurance broker and the formal approval of all other loss payees as some organizations with loss payable interests won’t accept changes to any loss payee clauses after the policy has been issued.

Add a loss payee on an insurance policy in Canada and other reasons to update your insurance broker

A commonly question that ALIGNED Insurance brokers are often asked is “When do I need to update my insurance broker?”. Your insurance broker should be made aware of changes to your business ideally before they happen.

Specifically for loss payees, mortgagees & additional insured’s – The insurer(s) must be advised of any liens, leases, mortgages or encumbrance of other instances of a change in insurable interest in your property / automobiles / liability and/or requests to add third parties as additional insured’s to your insurance policies. It is your responsibility to pass along all such requests/requirements to your ALIGNED Insurance broker and they will ensure their interests are added to the applicable policy appropriately as well as provide the documentation needed to satisfy the third party request.

ALIGNED Insurance: When do I need to update my insurance broker?
Need specifics about any of our commercial insurance products?
Call us toll-free now at 1-866-287-0448

It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!

We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian-owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest-growing insurance brokerages in the country.

We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.

365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, TwitterFacebookInstagram and YouTube.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *