Want to buy ONLINE Commercial insurance now?
Click HERE to get coverage now!
Regardless of whether you own a roller-skating rink, indoor or outdoor ice-skating rink, the injury risks are similar, inexperienced and even experienced skaters can lose control and cause head injuries, fractures or ligament tears to themselves and others. Ice skating rinks face the added possibility of lacerations with indoor skating rinks subject to potential ammonia leaks. With the high potential of injury at skating rinks and the severity of those potential injuries, skating rink insurance is a must for all skating facilities.
Risk Management for Skating Rinks
Implementing the following risk-management measures may help cut down your skating rink’s exposure to injuries and legal liability:
- Regular inspection and maintenance of refrigeration units and ventilation systems (indoor rinks)
- Inspect boards, glass and all areas skaters have access to regularly for potential hazards
- Regular clearing and resurfacing of ice surfaces
- Regular testing of ice thickness
- Hire only certified technicians for equipment maintenance and repair
- Ensure staff have proper food-handling and/or liquor serving training and certification in concession stands
- Prohibit and enforce zero-tolerance for food or beverages on or around the skating surface
- Hire only properly qualified, background-checked skate patrollers and instructors with first aid and CPR certification; ensure they wear proper safety equipment and are easily identifiable
- Provide patrollers with whistles, megaphones and two-way transceivers (walkie-talkies) for crowd control and security
- Have separate skating programs with designated times e.g. public, family, adult, roller hockey, etc.
- Have one skate patroller for every 1 to 59 skaters; 2 for every 50 to 119 skaters; 3 for 120 to 160 skaters
- Have a lawyer draft a legally enforceable waiver and ensure that all (including parents) sign one
- Post signage throughout the arena outlining rules and warnings
- Have first aid kits specifically designed for sports / skating rinks throughout the facility
- Promptly record all incidents and injuries
- Provide proper sanitization / disinfection training for skate rental staff
- Regularly review safety and operational procedures with all staff
- Have clearly marked and designated areas where skates can and cannot be worn
- Replace rubber mats regularly
- Use ammonia sensors throughout the arena (indoor ice-skating rinks)
- Ensure washrooms are clean and floors are dry
Skating Rink Insurance Coverages
Skating rink insurance is a customizable portfolio of coverages that are tailored to meet the unique needs of every skating rinks. Below are the common coverages included in a typical skating rink insurance package.
This is a standard coverage for all businesses and is the main coverage in a skating rink liability insurance plan. Commercial general liability insurance policy provides you with coverage for lawyer’s fees, defence costs, out-of-court settlements and awards for damages for lawsuits brought against you by someone who was injured at your skating rink.
Commercial general liability insurance can also cover you for lawsuits alleging property damage, false advertising and libel and/or slander. If your skating rink serves alcohol, your commercial general liability insurance policy should also include liquor liability coverage as you can be held liable for the actions of a patron who was served at your skating rink and then causes injuries or property damages – even if the incident takes place far from your premises.
If a fire, flood, windstorm or sewage backup, for example, causes damage to your building or the contents inside, property insurance can cover the costs to repair or replace your ice resurfacers, skates, computers, office equipment, etc.
This type of coverage can reimburse you for income lost after an insured peril forces you to close your doors.
If a refrigeration unit breaks down due to a power surge, for example, this policy can cover the costs of repairs and other losses that result from the breakdown.
Umbrella liability provides coverage in case the costs of a claim go over your policy limit. Considering the seriousness of potential injuries at a skating rink and the value of skating rink facilities, having this coverage included in your skating rink insurance may be the right move for your arena.
How ALIGNED Gives you an Edge on Skating Rink Insurance
The commercial insurance specialists at ALIGNED can save you time, money and the hassle of shopping around for the right skating rink insurance coverage at the best rates. Commercial insurance is our specialty – we know how to ensure that your skating rink is fully protected based on its specific needs. When you choose ALIGNED, you get an advocate working with Canada’s top insurance companies to get you comprehensive skating rink insurance that covers your liability risks at affordable rates. Contact an ALIGNED advocate to get a free quote on skating rink insurance in minutes or get started right away by using our free online tool.
We’re here to help you find the BEST commercial insurance…
Our team of insurance brokers is available to help answer any and all questions you might have about all of our commercial insurance products. If you have a question about business insurance, are uncertain about what a particular insurance coverage term means, or simply want to find commercial insurance that directly aligns with your needs, don’t hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.