The importance of your work as a sewer repair contractor cannot be overstated. Delivering clean water and manage water backups safely is an essential service Canadians can’t live without. Which is why your company needs sewer lines contractor insurance. Not only can it help keep your business protected, the right amount of coverage is required for you to bid on government and high-profile contracts. Below is information on how to keep your workers safer and your sewer line repairs and contracting service from going down the tubes.
Health Risks of Working with Sewage
The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety has identified the following health concerns associated with exposure to sewage and contaminated soil:
- Tetanus – caused by a toxin produced by bacteria common in soil and sewage.
- Leptospirosis – caused by a parasitic worm.
- Hepatitis A, B or C.
- Bacteria such as E. coli, and parasites such as giardia and cryptosporidium.
And notes that:
“Human pathogens from soil and raw sewage can enter the body through the nose or mouth, particularly if a person drinks contaminated water damage or by touching contamination and then touching your mouth or nose. Exposure can also occur through open wounds or by inhaling (human pathogens in dust, for example).”
Some of the recommendations made by the CCHOS for working safely with sewage include:
- “Avoid exposure to sewage by wearing gloves, coveralls, rubber boots, eye protection, washing your hands, and decontaminating your equipment after use.
- Do not eat or drink while working in a potentially contaminated area. Wash your hands before meals.
- After working with raw sewage or soil, wash immediately with soap and water. Do not use solvents to wash your hands as the solvents can cause irritation that may lead to skin infections. Learn more about handwashing and the risk of infections.
- Change out of work clothes before leaving the work site. If any sewage has gotten onto your clothes, change them right away. Soiled work clothes should be sealed in a plastic bag and laundered separately from other clothing. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling the clothing.”
In the section below we cover some of the business risks sewer repair contractors are exposed to and how a sewer line insurance can help mitigate them where applicable.
Common Challenges Faced by a Water and Sewer Repair Contractor and How An Insurance Product Can Help
- Health & safety of workers
- Property damage, especially for third parties
- Equipment and vehicle theft
- Client satisfaction (change orders / repair costs)
- Lack or loss of skilled workers
- Environmental liability
- Tight deadlines
- Material costs
- Worksite conditions
- Natural disasters
- Bodily injury
While sewer repair business insurance can’t protect you from all the risks your sewer repair company faces, it can certainly minimize the damage caused by the above challenges and might one day be the difference between a minor hiccup and your sewer repair contracting company having to close up shop.
Sewer contractor insurance is not a policy but rather a customizable package of coverages that are tailored to meet the unique needs of your sewer contractor services. Types of coverage include:
Commercial General Liability Insurance – working with sewer pipes and sewage lines means a high risk for potential property damage. CGL is essential to protect your sewer contracting business from litigation based on property damage and personal bodily injury as well as claims of false advertising and libel/slander.
Commercial Property and Equipment Insurance – can protect your building, sewer repair equipment and supplies and other business assets from damage caused by fire, flood, or natural disasters. This coverage can also be written to include protection for your property in transit and at jobsites.
Pollution Coverage – can protect you from costly cleanup expenses or allegations of liability for property damage or bodily injury to others associated with pollutants that are released due to work done.
Commercial Auto Insurance / Commercial Vehicle Insurance – for the vans, trucks and company vehicles used in the course of your sewer contracting services.
In order to bid on some public and prestige contracts, your sewer contracting company will also need bond services. Some of the bonds we offer include:
- Contractor License Bond
- Bid Bond
- Surety’s Consent Bond
- Performance Bond
- Labour and Material Payment Bond
- Supply Bond
- Sewer Tapper Bond
- Road Cut Bond
- Prepaid Contractor License Bond
- Contractor Bond
- Maintenance Bond
- Agreement to bond
Visit the “Commercial Surety Bonds for the Construction Industry” section of our “Types Of Commercial Surety Bonds In Canada” page for more information.
Other types of contractors that we offer customizable insurance packages:
- Window Cleaning and Installation Contractors
- Home Repairs and Renovation Contractors
- Plumbing Contractors
- Tree Removal Trimming Contractors
- Ceiling Installation Contractors
- Sign Installation Contractors
- Cleaning Contractors
- Gas Line Repair Contractors
- Roof Repair Contractor
- Commercial/Office Renovation Contractors
Get ALIGNED with the Right Sewer Repair Contractor Insurance for You
Our brokers work with Canada’s top insurance companies to get you the coverage you need at rates you can afford. Contact an ALIGNED advocate to get a free quote on sewer repair contractor insurance in minutes or use our free online tool.
We’re here to help you find the BEST commercial insurance…
Our team of insurance brokers is available to help answer any and all questions you might have about all of our commercial insurance products. If you have a question about business insurance, are uncertain about what a particular insurance coverage term means, or simply want to find commercial insurance that directly aligns with your needs, don’t hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
It’s time to get your insurance aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that’s ALIGNED with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. We’re proud our industry peers consistently recognize ALIGNED Insurance as one of the best insurance teams in the country. We are also very proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in Canada.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox. 12,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to connect and learn more about us.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders follow our insurance insights via @ALIGNEDonRisk, on Facebook, LinkedIn and watch our YouTube videos here!