Risk Management Strategies for Dance Schools
From ballroom to ballet to salsa to contemporary. You preserve art and culture and help people of all ages stay active and become better dancers. But one wrong move can put your dance school in jeopardy. Protect your life’s work with insurance policy customized to your dance school’s needs.
The following procedures can help dance studios mitigate some of its risks:
- Keep your studio floors and interior and exterior walkways clear of slipping and tripping hazards. If you’re leasing your space, confirm with your landlord who is responsible for clearing ice and snow in winter
- Ensure that, if you’re using a cleaning company, they are waxing/cleaning floors with waxes/agents that will not make the floors too slippery
- Have first aid kits and fire extinguishers conveniently placed throughout your dance studio
- Inspect walls and ceilings for discolouration/water damage/mold/water leaks
- Hire only properly certified dance instructors and ensure that all staff undergo criminal background and vulnerable sector screening
- Ensure staff and dance instructions are trained in your school’s policies and procedures and first aid
- Cap class sizes to ensure a safe student to dance instructor ratio and ensure proper warm-ups and cool-downs are conducted in every class
- Separate class programs by style and skill level
- Consult a lawyer and have her/him draft a waiver form that includes rules, responsibilities and disciplinary actions and have all students or their parents sign them
- Post your dance school’s rules, safety warnings and information throughout your dance studio
- Enforce a policy regarding safe and proper clothing and footwear
- Draft an emergency response plan including clearly marked emergency exits, property evacuation procedures, etc.
- Draft an emergency response plan for medical emergencies that conforms to Canadian Red Cross standards/guidelines
- Ensure that emergency plan information are concise, easy-to-understand, are easily accessible at all times and that all staff are trained on them e.g. hold fire drills
Dance School Insurance Coverages
Commercial General Liability Insurance – which can cover your dance school’s defence costs for lawsuits alleging bodily injury (not due to dance instruction), property damage, libel, slander. Those costs include lawyer’s fees, out-of-court-settlements and judgements awarding damages against you.
Errors & Omissions (E&O) / Professional Liability Insurance – provides legal liability coverage in case a student is injured and a lawsuit alleges that the injury is due to instructors error or negligence.
Property Insurance – covers the building and/or contents of your dance studio including upgrades made to your facility, dance equipment, office equipment and other assets that are damaged or destroyed by fire, flood, vandalism, sewage backup, etc. Property insurance can also include:
- Business Interruption coverage that replaces lost income after an insured peril; and
- Extra Expense coverage for the costs to set up a temporary dance studio after an insured peril.
Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Insurance – which can provide legal coverage for claims of workplace harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination of staff or instructors and other employment practices-based suits.
Dance Schools Insurance in Canada Brokered by ALIGNED – Get the Flexible Coverage You Need
The commercial insurance brokers at ALIGNED can save you time, money and the hassle of shopping for the right dance studio insurance package for you. Contact an ALIGNED advocate to get a free quote on dance schools liability insurance in minutes or get started right away by using our free online tool.