Get a quote


Join Our Distribution List Today!

Need help managing your business risks during COVID-19? – CLICK HERE FOR INFO YOU CAN USE
ALIGNED Insurance

Call Toll Free

Insurance For House Renovations And Building

Insurance For House Renovations And Building - ALIGNED Insurance Brokers
ALIGNED - CLICK HERE to get a FREE insurance quote now - Header - June 2021
Want insurance? Click HERE to get a FREE QUOTE!

Is special insurance for house renovations and building really needed? Yes, yes it is.

Building a new home or renovating your house is an exciting time. However, when your house is under construction, it’s also at risk. 

Personal lines insurance products don’t cover everything. Insurance companies build in specific exclusions for three important reasons:

  1. The risk is considered uninsurable like damage from war or nuclear explosion
  2. The insurer doesn’t want to cover it
  3. The risk is more appropriately covered by another insurance product

Reason #2 & #3 both apply when it comes to personal insurance products providing coverage during a home renovation or new build. More specifically, here’s an actual and typical exclusion in a Canadian homeowners insurance policy.

Homeowners insurance policies typically void all coverage should a loss occur during construction or a significant renovation.

For this reason alone, more people need to ask “do we need special insurance while our house is being renovated or built?”

Here’s a real example of a Canadian Homeowners Insurance Exclusions wording:

“But we do not insure loss or damage: occurring while the dwelling is under construction or vacant, even if permission for construction or vacancy has been given by us;”

How does specialized insurance work while a house is being renovated or built?

Fire, theft or other damage to property and or materials on the construction site is a major concern for home owners, contractors and subcontractors.

That’s why builders risk insurance is specifically designed to protect the property while under construction. Builders risk insurance also picks up where homeowners insurance stops.

Another major risk for homeowners while their house is being renovated or built is someone accessing the construction site and getting injured.  This is also excluded by the homeowners construction exclusion which is why wrap-up liability insurance should be place by the homeowner.

Talk to us before you renovate or build. We can help you get ALIGNED with the best builders risk and wrap-up liability insurance options while your property is renovated or built.

Need specifics about any of our commercial insurance products?
Call us toll-free now at 1-866-287-0448

It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!

We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian-owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest-growing insurance brokerages in the country.

We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.

365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, TwitterFacebookInstagram and YouTube.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *