Fast, simple & secure. Buy online special event liability insurance in Canada
If you don’t plan to fail, your plan may be bound to fail. Is your non-profit planning a fundraiser? Perhaps you are preparing for a wedding. Maybe you are organizing a business event for clients. Whatever the reason, when you are bringing people together, you are also exposing yourself, your organization and attendees to risk.
During COVID-19, special event risks are even more top of mind. This post provides information about common special event risks that you should be aware of in addition to the governmental guidelines where you’re hosting your event.
Just like events, special event risks come in all sizes. However, not all risks are created equal. For instance, lights going off during the Super Bowl…
The 2013 Super Bowl made headlines for having a blackout and halting the game for 34 minutes. Even worse, they didn’t give their viewers an explanation of what had happened. People wondered if there had been a fire, or even a terrorist attack.”1printsome.com: 9 of the biggest event planning fails ever
However, it’s more than likely that if and when things go wrong at your event, there won’t be millions of people watching.
This is why getting the best possible special event insurance in Canada is so important. Keep reading to learn more about our 100% online special event insurance as well as key risk management tips for planning events.
Get your special event insurance ALIGNED right now.
Use our simple 100% online special event app.
Why planning is always your best risk prevention action
And as much as bad weather can spoil any outdoor event so can not preparing contingencies well in advance.
Understanding the risks involved is the key starting point. Here’s an excerpt from the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s dedicated page all about risk managing special events. For example:
“Is travel required? If so, what type of transportation will be used (e.g., bus, automobile, plane, etc.)? Risks associated with travelling include vehicle collisions, delays, passenger safety, etc.”2
Related Matters: IBC provides 15 ways to identify and manage special event risks.
“Is the event outdoors? Consider such risks as weather and use of temporary structures. Make contingency plans.
Will alcohol be served? Risks are involved with patron and public safety when alcohol is served. “3
“Are there any activities that may be contracted out? Contracting may decrease control and decrease risk. However, for risk to be effectively transferred, an appropriate contract, including a hold harmless and indemnification clause, must be drafted.
The third party should have the financial resources to cover losses that may occur and purchase insurance. Other conditions may be required for risk to be effectively transferred. Consult a lawyer for more details.”4
- You may want to sign a hold harmless and indemnification agreement stating that the organizers will not be responsible for property damage and/or injuries and that any service provider will indemnify the organizers for any claims due to the service provider’s negligence. Consult a lawyer for more information.
- Request an insurance certificate from the contractor (service provider) as evidence of liability insurance. Make sure the insurance certificate names your organization as an additional insured and that it also contains a cross-liability clause. Consult an insurance representative for more information.”5
In addition to risk management best practices, getting the best possible special events insurance ALIGNED well in advance of your special event is important. In other words, we’ve made it super simple to buy online special event insurance here on our website.
Don’t let special event risks keep you awake at night. Get 100% online insurance in just a few clicks.
Because special events come in all forms and sizes, our 100% online solution addresses more than 50 types of events.
Therefore, you can use it to get insured instantly, online with us. Some of the special events you can get coverage for are listed below. For example:
- Athletic Events and Competitions
- Bingo Games (charities / fundraisers only)
- Business lecture / seminars / meetings
- Class Reunions
- Haunted Attractions
- Political Campaigns
- Theatrical Performances
- Walks (non-competitive, for a charity, benefit or fundraising)
- and so many more…
Get online insurance for your special event now. Click to launch our 100% online special event app.
Info you need to get liability insurance 100% online for your next special event
Being prepared is always a good motto. When you are planning a special event, preparation is 90% of the work. If you’re getting ready to buy special event insurance online, knowing what questions you’ll encounter in the application is helpful.
We’ve pulled together a few of the questions you can expect to encounter below. For example:
- What’s the start date of your event?
- How long will your event last? Including your tear down date?
- What number of attendees will you have during the total length of the event?
- How much coverage would you like for General Liability?
- How much coverage would you like for Non-Owned Automobile Liability?
Most importantly, please know that:
- This policy does NOT provide any coverage in relation to the COVID 19 Pandemic or any other “Communicable Disease”.
- You must, at all times, comply with laws, guidelines, emergency order, code or standards, put in place by a Municipal, Provincial or Federal government in relation to COVID 19, such as maximum attendance, quarantine act, sanitization process etc. Any claims, fines or penalties arising from non compliance with such laws or pandemic measures will be excluded.
What will it cost to insure your special event?
Every event is unique. Likewise, the cost to insure your special event is unique to the specific risks it may potentially involve. However, some of the risks you may be aware of and others may be subtle.
- The venue/location
- Event type
- Length as well as date of your event
- How many attendees / guests / participants
- Is alcohol being served?
- Are third-party vendors or staff involved
- Do you have any past claims?
- The liability limit you choose for your coverage
Not every event faces the same exposures. Most importantly, liability coverage typically starts at $1,000,000 and can be increased to $2,000,000, $5,000,000 or more.
Moreover, when considering how much liability coverage you need for your special event, think about your risks. In addition, be aware that a personal injury claim can easily exceed $1,000,000. Certainly, higher risk events such as weddings, concerts, etc. may benefit from a higher liability limit. Likewise, think about the difference in the cost for a higher limit when you are insuring your special event.
In short, if you have questions about special event insurance, our brokers can help.
Simple. Secure. Online special events coverage.
To sum up, during COVID-19 and anytime, successfully planning a special event hinges on preparation. This is why we make it fast, easy and simple to get online special event insurance 24/7/365 on our website.
In conclusion, from Vancouver to Calgary and from Toronto to Cambridge, our ALIGNED Advocates know how to secure insurance solutions built to address your specific special event risk exposures.
Where to find more info about COVID-19 and the Canadian workplace
The pandemic is changing how we live, work and interact with each other. To help understand COVID-19 risks and commercial insurance Canada products, read our Insurance Blog. In addition, you can keep current by subscribing to our e-news ALIGNMENT Matters on our homepage.
Here’s a selection of recent COVID-19 related news articles that we hope you will find helpful.
- Understanding COVID-19 risk management in your Alberta workplace
- What to know about managing COVID-19 risks in your BC workplace
- COVID-19 risk management in your Ontario workplace
- E-news | Reopening, Changing direction? Shifting online during COVID-19?
- E-news | Cyber risks during COVID-19
- What you need to know about COVID-19 and your business insurance
Bookmark our Insurance Blog to access more than 1,100 posts that feature timely commercial insurance Canada info. And if you have questions about business insurance during COVID-19, call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448
We’re here to help you find the BEST commercial insurance…
Our team of insurance brokers is available to help answer any and all questions you might have about all of our commercial insurance products. If you have a question about business insurance, are uncertain about what a particular insurance coverage term means, or simply want to find commercial insurance that directly aligns with your needs, don’t hesitate to call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
It’s time to get your insurance aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that’s ALIGNED with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448.
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. We’re proud our industry peers consistently recognize ALIGNED Insurance as one of the best insurance teams in the country. We are also very proud to be one of the fastest growing insurance brokerages in Canada.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox. 12,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to connect and learn more about us.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders follow our insurance insights via @ALIGNEDonRisk, on Facebook, LinkedIn and watch our YouTube videos here!