What is CGL Insurance aka Commercial General Liability Insurance?
Commercial General Liability Insurance is a standard insurance policy issued to businesses & organizations to protect them against liability claims for bodily injury (BI) and property damage (PD) arising out of premises, operations, products, and completed operations; and advertising and personal injury (PI) liability. The CGL policy was introduced in 1986 and is often also referred to as a “comprehensive” general liability policy.
Why is Commercial General Liability Insurance needed?
Common law, which applies in all provinces in Canada except Quebec (where they operate under Civil Law) has established that business owners owe a duty of care to the public regardless of the type of business they operate. Unfortunately, accidents happen and injured people or parties may allege the following three things:
When the above the conditions are met people, parties and or their lawyers will often allege that a business has been negligent and that the business is responsible for compensating them for their damages. Demands for compensation can come in written and or verbal format and can be made by the injured party directly or by a lawyer representing the injured. This is commonly known as personal injury law and in this area of law, lawyers will typically work on a “contingent” basis, which means the injured party pays nothing up front and the lawyer only gets paid if they receive an award or settlement from the organization they allege is at fault.
What types of coverage can Commercial General Liability insurance include?
Read on to learn more about the types of coverage Commercial General Liability Insurance policy includes:
- Bodily Injury To Third Parties – Which means bodily harm, sickness, or disease, including resulting death that results from your business operations. For example, a customer slips in your store and breaks their hip.
- Property Damage To Third Parties – Damage caused to property of others. For example, a contractor accidentally damages the building next to the one he is working on.
- Products Liability – The liability for bodily injury (BI) or property damage (PD) incurred by a merchant or manufacturer as a consequence of some defect in the product sold or manufactured. Ex. customer becomes sick after eating at a restaurant.
- Completed Operations – Work of the insured that has been completed as called for in a contract, or work completed at a single job site under a contract involving multiple job sites, or work that has been put to its intended use. Ex. a plumber installs a new toilet and it begins to leak and damages the contents of the room below.
- Tenants Legal Liability – Tenant accepts responsibility for damage they may cause to the building which they rent or lease from a landlord. For example, an asset management company employee leaves a candle burning at their desk overnight which catches fire and burns down the entire office tower.
This is only a brief summary of some of the main sections of coverage found in the typical CGL Insurance policy. To learn more about CGL Insurance and how it can protect your business, speak to an ALIGNED Insurance Advocate.
We’re here to answer your business insurance questions. Not sure who you need to talk to? Just email email@example.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 for assistance.
It’s time to get insurance value and choice aligned. Want Canadian business insurance that aligns with your bottom line? We can help. 365. Call us toll-free at 1-866-287-0448 or click to Get a Quote!
We’re ALIGNED across Canada. The ALIGNED Insurance National Operations Centre in Cambridge, Ontario supports our Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices. Our industry peers consistently recognize us as one of Canada’s best insurance teams. 100% Canadian-owned, we are super proud to be one of the fastest-growing insurance brokerages in the country.
We deliver e-news you can use. Get practical business insurance insights in your inbox every month. 19,000+ people subscribe to our free ALIGNMENT Matters e-news. Just click the JOIN OUR DISTRIBUTION LIST button – at the bottom of our homepage – to get connected.
365 | Get ALIGNED. Every day, Canadian business leaders read our insurance insights. Find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.