Bikini Deductible Explained
Click Here For An Insurance Quote
A “bikini deductible,” is a self-insured layer, separating the primary layer of risk—whether insured, self-insured, or funded in a captive—from the layer immediately excess of the primary. A bikini deductible was first used in health insurance, inserting a deductible (a real deductible, not a self-insured retention (SIR)) between a first dollar insured health plan and major medical coverage, which is excess of the primary health insurance policy. The structure resembles a bikini because there’s defined protection on the bottom and on the top but nothing in the middle.
Bikini deductibles migrated from health insurance to property and casualty applications when risk managers, brokers, and creative excess insurance underwriters were looking for more sophisticated methods of allocating and funding risk. Typically, the bikini deductible layer is unfunded. It’s used to lower the cost of (or provide access to) excess or umbrella insurance, while relieving the insured from the requirement to fund for expected losses. A bikini deductible is also often used in structured insurance arrangements. Bikini deductible can be designed to cover non-aggregated per occurrence limits or a combination of per occurrence and aggregate limits. A typical bikini deductible will include per occurrence limits perhaps subject to an annual aggregate, depending on the risk and the excess insurance pricing.
To learn more about how a bikini deductible works, contact ALIGNED.
An ALIGNED Advocate can provide expert guidance about insurance and risk management best practices for your organization. Talk to one of our advocates today about how we can help you secure the best products, services and insurance solutions for your business.
ALIGNED specializes in delivering insurance and risk management solutions exclusively to Canadian businesses. Through our 18 points of differentiation and expertise, we deliver unmatched value to our growing portfolio of clients from all industries that range from small to large organizations. We offer all of the following management liability products:
- Board Insurance / Directors and Officers (D&O) Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Insurance
- Fiduciary Liability Insurance
- Property Insurance – including Business Interruption & Extra Expense
- Machinery Breakdown / Boiler & Machinery Insurance
- Course of Construction (COC)
- Wrap-up Liability Insurance
- Commercial General Liability / CGL Insurance
- Pollution Liability Insurance
- Commercial Automobile & Fleet Insurance
- Umbrella Liability Insurance
- Cyber, Hacking & Privacy Liability Insurance
- Crime / Fidelity / Employee Theft Insurance
- Professional Liability / Errors & Omissions (E&O) Insurance
- Kidnap & Ransom Insurance
- Representations & Warranty Insurance
- Trade Credit
- Surety & Bonding
|ALIGNED Across Canada 100% Canadian owned, ALIGNED is a premiere insurance brokerage that serves more than 1,400 clients across the country. ALIGNED’s offices in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver are supported by a national operations centre in Cambridge, Ontario. Uniquely within the industry, ALIGNED creates, negotiates and delivers the best business insurance and risk management strategies/solutions to organizations like yours.|