Reefer Truck Risk Management
Reefer trucks are essential for delivering temperature-sensitive products safely, and refrigerated products no longer include only food. Properly maintaining a reefer unit is the key to delivering an undamaged product, whether it is perishable food, sensitive electronic equipment or medical supplies.
Carrying refrigerated cargo can be especially dangerous because if the trailer’s temperature gets too high or dips too low, entire loads of product could be ruined, or worse, could make people sick. Bacteria can grow on perishable items if the temperature gets above 7.2° C.
Safety Precautions for Reefer Trucks
Use these tips to make sure your reefer truck’s cargo reaches its destination safely and efficiently.
- Use a data logger to track the temperature of the refrigerated trailer and ensure its accuracy during transit.
- Check to make sure air channels in back of the reefer unit’s fan are not blocked. If the fan cannot discharge enough air, the load can easily get too warm.
- Do not pack the load too high in the truck. Circulation from the air-delivery chute could become blocked, which means air will not be distributed properly toward the rear of the trailer.
- In your pre-trip inspection, check that the truck body does not contain any dents, which could mean a break in insulation; also inspect door seals for leaks.
- Always have a service manual available while on the road. Any trouble with the reefer unit could not only be detrimental to the load, but to your safety and the safety of other drivers around you. Consult the manual if you find yourself questioning the truck’s functionality.
Can I get insurance for possible reefer breakdowns?
Yes, Reefer Breakdown insurance covers the cost of replacing spoiled stock resulting from a reefer breakdown while at your premises or in transit. Contact an ALIGNED Insurance Advocate today to hear about the options available for Reefer Breakdown coverage.
More About ALIGNED Insurance
ALIGNED specializes in delivering insurance and risk management solutions exclusively to Canadian businesses. Through our 18 points of differentiation and expertise, we deliver unmatched value to our growing portfolio of clients from all industries that range from small to large organizations.