What is Protection and Indemnity Insurance?
Protection and Indemnity Insurance is liability insurance for practically all maritime liability risks associated with the operation of a vessel, other than that covered under a workers compensation policy and under the collision clause in a hull policy.
There is no standard Protection and Indemnity insurance form. Each Protection and Indemnity insurance policy is created with specific terms and conditions for each insured tailored by underwriters based on the nature of the risk and the character and amount of insurance desired by the insured. Additionally note that since Protection and Indemnity insurance policies are essentially a contract of indemnity, the insurer is not obligated to pay unless the insured must actually pay the claim.
In the event of a protection and indemnity insurance claim it is important the insurance company is notified as soon as possible so the following can be done:
- offer immediate advice and assistance,
- if necessary, arrange for any damage to be inspected prior to repairs commencing,
- arrange to obtain statements from any relevant witnesses,
- advise on the appointment of salvors if the equipment/ vessel is still in distress.
For protection and indemnity insurance claims examples click here.
To learn more about protection and indemnity insurance policies and other marine policies contact an ALIGNED Advocate today.
More About ALIGNED Insurance
ALIGNED specializes in delivering insurance and risk management solutions exclusively to Canadian businesses. Through our 18 points of differentiation and expertise, we deliver unmatched value to our growing portfolio of clients from all industries that range from small to large organizations.
We offer all of the following products:
Marine Liability: Hull & Machinery, Freight Forwarders Packages, Open Cargo Policies, Marine General Liability, Marine Surveyors Professional Liability
- Property Insurance- Including Business Interruption & Extra Expense
- Machinery Breakdown/Boiler & Machinery Insurance
- Course of Construction(COC)
- Wrap-up Liability Insurance
- Commercial General Liability / CGL Insurance
- Pollution Liability Insurance
- Commercial Automobile & Fleet Insurance
- Umbrella Liability Insurance
- Cyber, Hacking & Privacy Liability Insurance
- Crime / Fidelity / Employee Theft Insurance
- Professional Liability / Errors & Omissions (E&O) Insurance
- Kidnap & Ransom Insurance
- Representations & Warranty Insurance
- Trade Credit
- Surety & Bonding