Slip and Fall Prevention Tips
Wet floors, spills and excess clutter can mean disaster for employees and customers, causing many people every year to suffer lost pay and serious pain. Injuries caused by slips, trips and falls range from sprained or strained muscles and joints, to broken bones and head injury. There are several slip and fall prevention steps you should take to ensure your safety, the safety of your co-workers and the safety of your customers.
Slip and Fall Prevention For Floors
- Keep floors clean and dry at all times. Wet floors present a slip hazard and can promote the growth of infection-causing microbes like mould, fungi and bacteria.
- Remove all objects and clutter from hallways, exits and passageways.
- In the event that grease or oil spills on the floor, clean the mess immediately and alert your co-workers of the problem before they accidentally fall.
- Use floor or ceiling electrical plugs for power to avoid running a cord down or through a long hallway or wide open area.
- Display warning signs to alert others of a wet floor.
- Use floor mats while surfaces are drying after cleaning to provide traction.
- Clean up spills immediately.
- In areas prone to slipping (toilet and shower areas), use a no-skid wax product to clean.
- While washing the floor, wear protective footgear to prevent falling.
- Keep an eye out for uneven floors, and fix them or notify someone who can immediately.
Other Slip and Fall Prevention Recommendations
- Use strong ladders to reach as opposed to standing on small stools or boxes.
- Stretch out bulging carpets to prevent trips and falls.
- Use handrails while walking down stairs to prevent slipping when walking too fast.
- Repair broken light fixtures and replace bulbs for adequate visibility.
The Key To Slip and Fall Prevention Is To…Always Stay Alert
Slip and fall prevention is everyone’s responsibility and organizations are encouraged to adopt a see it, sort it mentality. If you notice any situation that you think could present a slipping, tripping or falling hazard for you, a co-worker or a customer, act immediately to remedy it or notify your supervisor or manager. You could be saving an unsuspecting victim a lot of lost pay and serious pain.
To learn more about slip and fall prevention and other risk management strategies to protect your business connect with an ALIGNED Insurance Advocate Today at www.alignedinsuranceinc.com